When you’re on the journey to reclaim your health, one important part of a healthier lifestyle is eating nutrient rich foods that can help to support your body’s natural healing ability. In the US, the Standard American diet is woefully short on nutrient rich foods. And it is high in sugar, sodium and chemical additives…all which may be harming your health!
The best thing you can do for your health is to get back into the kitchen and start cooking from scratch. But how many times have you thought “I don’t have time to cook”? That is a common problem that many busy women face. But the truth is that it’s important to make the time to create, healthy, nutrient packed meals. Your health needs it. And so does your family’s!
The good news is that there are plenty of helpful gadgets that can help to minimize your time in the kitchen! These small appliances make cooking so much easier! One small appliance that is a must for busy cooks is the Instant Pot, electric pressure cooker. The pressure cooker cooks meals quickly…and it helps make delicious meals with little fuss. Of course, having some simple recipes like this Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken Soup in your meal plan makes it even easier.
This recipe is a “throw and go” recipe, making prep super simple for you! Just add all of your ingredients to the pot, set it and forget it. It is also adaptable for different dietary needs. If you are limiting grains, simply don’t add the corn. The recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1/2 cup organic corn (omit for grain free)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can organic green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 cups organic salsa
- 1 can or 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot
- Cook for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow the soup to naturally release for at least 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh chives, cilantro or cheese (if you allow dairy)